New Years is here and, as tradition holds, the champagne will flow like water at Niagara. In fact, some have said that New Year’s Eve is the drunkest day of the year, even above the green beer drinking Saint Patrick’s Day. As with all most holidays, law enforcement will be out in full force trying to nab partiers. The Automobile Club of Southern California wants to prevent a DUI from becoming the first mistake of 2013 for its members.
This New Years, AAA is offering a “Tipsy Tow” for people who drink a little too much. Members of AAA, party hosts, bartenders or passengers can call 800-222-4357 (AAA-HELP) or 800-400-4222 to get a complimentary ride and a complimentary tow home, within seven miles, from 6pm on Monday to 6am on Tuesday.
Be prepared to have backup options if the tow service becomes over-burdened. Make sure you have a designated driver or make plans to stay the night. AAA offers the following tips for party hosts to help keep their guests safe:
- Ensure all guests have a ride to and from their destination in a car driven by a non-drinking designated driver
- Plan activities that take the focus away from drinking, and make non-alcoholic beverages readily available
- Serve high-protein snacks to slow down alcohol absorption
- Stop serving alcohol at least 90 minutes before a party ends, and serve guests coffee or dessert
- Take car keys from intoxicated guests who plan to drive home
Stay safe, don’t drink and drive, and have a happy New Years!