Skip to Content

The SR-22 Form


Car insurance companies base their coverage as well as rates on your driving record. When someone is charged with driving under the influence, it is possible that the insurance company will either raise their rates or drop you altogether. Because even minimal car insurance is required to legally drive in California, as it is in every other state, the DMV requires assurances that a person convicted of DUI maintains car insurance. As a result, when someone applies to have their license reinstated, either permanently or through a work-restricted license, the DMV will likely require you to file an SR-22 form.

The SR-22 form is issued to a person convicted of a DUI or a wet reckless charge by an insurance company. The form guarantees that the carrier of the certificate maintains the required minimum liability coverage in California. The form is filed with the DMV where it is kept on file. Should coverage lapse or become cancelled for whatever reason, the insurance company will contact the DMV who will issue an order of suspension.

So how do you get and file an SR-22? Contact a DMV-authorized car insurance company and request an SR-22 form. The insurance company will likely require a processing fee. This fee will vary depending on the company. According to the DMV, in California the minimum amount of coverage for one accident should be $15,000 for one person killed or injured, $30,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $5,000 for property damage. Should the insurance company offer coverage, they will issue an SR-22 form. The form must then be filed with the DMV.

The post The SR-22 Form appeared first on Law Offices of Taylor and Taylor - DUI Central.

Share To: