A former Marine and graduate of the University of California at Berkeley (1966) and the UCLA School of Law (1969), Lawrence Eric Taylor served as deputy public defender and deputy district attorney in Los Angeles before entering private practice. He was the trial judge's legal advisor in People vs Charles Manson, was Supreme Court counsel in the Onion Field murder case and was retained by the Attorney General of Montana as an independent Special Prosecutor to conduct a one-year grand jury probe of governmental corruption.
Turning to teaching, Mr. Taylor served on the faculty of Gonzaga University School of Law, where he was voted
Professor of the Year, was invited to be Visiting Professor at Pepperdine University Law School, and was finally appointed Fulbright Professor of Law at Osaka University in Japan.
With over 44 years of experience, Lawrence Taylor is the author of over thirty articles and 12 books, including the standard text on DUI / DWI litigation, Drunk Driving Defense, 8th edition (N.Y.: Aspen Law and Business) and California Drunk Driving Defense, 4th edition (St. Paul, MN: West Publishing). He is one of only 5 DUI attorneys in California who is Board-certified as a DUI defense specialist.
Over the past 33 years Mr. Taylor has proven a popular lecturer on DUI trial techniques and constitutional issues at over 200 CLE seminars in 38 states, including those sponsored by the American Bar Association, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and numerous state bar associations including the California State Bar. He was one of the original ten founders of the National College for DUI Defense, served on the Board of Regents and was elected Dean for 1995-1996. On July 25, 2002, at Harvard Law School, Mr. Taylor has more recently been presented with the National College’s
Richard Erwin Lifetime Achievment Award, and has been voted by his peer attorneys in Southern California as a
Super Lawyer for 11 of the past 13 years.
(Taylor) excels at trial preparation and tactics....His expertise is incomparable."Trial" (Assoc. of Trial Lawyers of America)
Larry Taylor is recognized as one of the finest DUI trial tacticians in the country.Editor, "California DUI Report"
Lawrence Taylor is one of the top DUI lawyers in the U.S. today.Editor, "Drinking/Driving Law Letter"
Taylor's patented approach to crossing the cop....can be regarded as so fundamental that newer drunk driving defense practitioners may not be aware that he was its originator."The Champion" (Nat'l Assoc. of Criminal Defense Lawyers)
Mr. Taylor is a member of the United States Supreme Court Bar, California State Bar and National College for DUI Defense. He maintains a personal DUI blog with commentary on the defects, fallacies and Constitutional damage of
the war on drunk driving.
- State Bar of California
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- National College for DUI Defense
- I blew a .11, which most would dismiss right away as a "lost cause". I heard from countless people that I might as well just plead guilty and be done with it because I was just way too over the limit. Boy am I glad I decided to give Mr. Taylor a call. Mr. Taylor was able to have my case dismissed! Amazing work and I would highly recommend.
- I was in a very difficult situation and had no idea what to expect and how it was going to affect my life. They were able to guide me every step of the way to help me feel confident and at ease. The work that Mr. Taylor and his firm has done helped me keep my record DUI free; something I am truly grateful for.
- Lawrence Taylor truly saved me. They were sincerely caring of my situation, and showed every effort to speak to me personally and get to know me. Best of all, they were able to get that DUI off my record and get my license back. I would HIGHLY recommend Mr. Taylor and his staff to anyone in a situation like I was.
- From the moment I was in need of a DUI lawyer and found Taylor's firm, I began to feel at ease. Not only is the entire staff helpful, but they're genuinely caring and responsive. These guys created a level of expertise other lawyers should be striving for.