Ms. Scherer was born in the mid-west and raised in the suburbs of Philadelphia. After graduating from St. Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology, Ms. Scherer worked as a member of VISTA (Volunteers in Service To America) on a Native American reservation in North Dakota, and later conducted a research project on the homebound elderly in Virginia. While living in Okinawa, Japan, Ms. Scherer taught college level English to active duty military personnel seeking to further their education. After moving to California, Ms. Scherer held a position as a supportive services assistant for the Area Agency on Aging in Orange County while concurrently attending law school at Western State University.
As a law school student, Ms. Scherer received American Jurisprudence Awards in two courses and was a semi-finalist in the challenging moot court competition. Upon her completion of law school in December of 1987, Ms. Scherer sat for the February bar examination and was sworn in as an attorney in August 1988. She immediately began her law career as a Deputy Public Defender with the Orange County Public Defender's Office. For the next ten years, Ms. Scherer handled hundreds of misdemeanor cases, including DUI's as well as felony matters ranging from drug offenses to violent crimes.
In 1994 Ms. Scherer was honored to be a co-recipient of the Don Simms's Attorney of the Year Award. In 2000, Ms. Scherer joined the Law Offices of Lawrence Taylor. Working closely with Mr. Taylor, she further mastered the intricacies of the criminal aspect of DUI defense and became an expert in representing clients in administrative hearings with the DMV. As a member of the National College of DUI Defense, Ms. Scherer attended the August 2004 summer seminar held at Harvard University. She attends annual seminars sponsored by both the National College and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Ms. Scherer was recently selected by invitation to join the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
As a proud mother of three accomplished adult children, Ms. Scherer often extends her maternal expertise to her work. She takes a special interest in each client, attending to the needs of the "whole person". After years of experience, Ms. Scherer understands that an arrest for a DUI not only has implications in the criminal arena, but can also impact an individual in more subtle ways. These implications effect different people in different ways, depending on their age, employment, marital status, travel requirements, geographical location, and other licenses they may hold. Ms. Scherer works not only to zealously defend each client's legal rights but to also minimize the negative effect a DUI arrest can have on their individual lives. Ms. Scherer's years of experience in the court room and her wealth of knowledge in DUI defense make her a formidable opponent but, more importantly, it makes her an attorney that is an asset to any client.
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- National College for DUI Defense
- Lane is a fantastic lawyer on a number of levels. She knows the law inside and out. She is a warm, empathic person which is so important when confronted with being arrested for DUI and all the consequences that can follow. She is a good person and a great lawyer.
- Ms. Scherer is an extremely competent attorney and aggressive advocate on behalf of her client. She provided representation throughout the proceeding and continued to follow-up after resolution of the matter. We would without reservation recommend Ms. Scherer as a highly qualified attorney and person of great integrity. We hold respect and gratitude for her thoughtful handling of this matter.
- One of the best. She is smart, hardworking, and she knows the law, the judges and the prosecutors. She is extremely well prepared and kept me informed the whole time. If you want the best, and someone who actually cares about your case, hire Lane.
- Ms. Scherer is an excellent attorney. Not only is she very passionate and empathetic, she is academically brilliant and commands the courtroom. I would recommend her to all my friends and family who are in dire situation.