Here are a couple facts concerning an IID device that can be of great benefit to those who have been arrested for a second DUI, or even a 3rd or 4th. This information is directly from the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you have been convicted of a second or subsequent DUI violation and have completed at least 1 year of your DUI suspension/revocation you may qualify for a restricted license if you meet these requirements:
- Install an IID on your vehicle and provide DMV with a “Verification of Installation” (DL 920) form.
- Clear all other outstanding suspensions/revocations on your driving record.
- Comply with a drinking driver program’s requirements and have the program provider submit either a Proof of Enrollment form (DL 107) or Notice of Completion form (DL 101) to DMV (whichever applies to your case).
- Submit an SR 22 form establishing proof of financial responsibility issued by your auto insurance company to DMV.
- Pay all required fees, including the $15 IID restriction fee.
In addition, effective July 1, 2010, legislation allows a shorter suspension/revocation period for a second or third DUI offender to install an IID and receive an IID restricted license after a mandatory suspension/revocation period, if the most recent violation of VC §23152 occurred on or after July 1, 2010, and did not involve the use of drugs:
Second DUI Offenders — whose violation involved alcohol only may reinstate after a 90-day suspension with proof of enrollment in a DUI program.
Third DUI Offenders — whose violation involved alcohol only may reinstate after a 6-month revocation with proof of enrollment in an 18 or 30-month DUI program.
All required forms and fees may be submitted to any local Department of Motor Vehicles office or mailed to: DMV, Mail Station J233, P.O. Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001.
NOTE: Call DMV at (916) 657-6525 for eligibility or an IID provider.